The Mission:

I am building an airplane. I really can't tell you how weird it sounds to me to hear those words in my head as I type. I am keeping this blog as an adjunct to my written log, which is required to comply with FAA requirements for Experimental Aircraft construction. My son Doug is my partner in this project. There are two goals: to build the best, safest, and yes, COOLEST, airplane we can, and to allow Doug to acquire some truly awesome experiences, not to mention building skills. Thanks for viewing.



How to use this blog

The most current post is displayed on this opening page. To access the older posts, click on the "Blog Archive" on the right hand side. The drop down menu is arranged by the month and lists the posts, by title and by date posted, in reverse chronological order.

I will arrange the hypertext links to other websites I find interesting better some day, but they are at the bottom.

If you navigate to my first post, there is a link to my luthiery pages. I miss working with wood. Aluminum is nice, but it's boring. Give me a highly figured maple any day!

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Hanging up the engine

I unboxed the engine.  I had completed the construction of an engine stand, the purpose of which is to allow access to the engine more easily than it would be on the fuselage.  Hanging also begins to compress the mounts, so that there will be less sag between the line the engine creates, most visibly at the spinner, and the fixed cowling.  Wally, my technical counselor and I hung the engine, and then my friend Tom helped tighten the torque on the bolts in the mounts.


This is one very beautiful engine
The engine is from AeroSport in Kamloops, B.C., Canada.  It is an IO-360 vertical induction, one slick magneto, one P-mag, fuel injected, Plane Power alternator and it will have a backup alternator.

Also, I got an e-mail from Aerotronics on the design of my "plug and play" panel.  Dual AFS 4500 EFIS and Garmin radio stack with 430 WAAS and backup SL40 comm, 327 transponder, and the plane will have a TruTrak auto pilot.  There are back up round gauges for the "retro" look.  Very nice, IMHO


No comments:

Post a Comment