The Mission:

I am building an airplane. I really can't tell you how weird it sounds to me to hear those words in my head as I type. I am keeping this blog as an adjunct to my written log, which is required to comply with FAA requirements for Experimental Aircraft construction. My son Doug is my partner in this project. There are two goals: to build the best, safest, and yes, COOLEST, airplane we can, and to allow Doug to acquire some truly awesome experiences, not to mention building skills. Thanks for viewing.



How to use this blog

The most current post is displayed on this opening page. To access the older posts, click on the "Blog Archive" on the right hand side. The drop down menu is arranged by the month and lists the posts, by title and by date posted, in reverse chronological order.

I will arrange the hypertext links to other websites I find interesting better some day, but they are at the bottom.

If you navigate to my first post, there is a link to my luthiery pages. I miss working with wood. Aluminum is nice, but it's boring. Give me a highly figured maple any day!

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Happy Holidays

We had a wonderful Christmas.  After the morning celebration, I had the rare opportunity of a day off work with few responsibilities.  I was able to put about four hours of work in to the left wing.  Mike just recently made it home from the UK (he got caught in the snow related closure at Heathrow), so Doug and Mike enjoyed each other's company today, which is as it should be.   I worked out in the garage by myself.


Countersunk nut plates riveted to the reinforcing plate
Figuring out the orientation

Installed on the left wing

The skins are large and somewhat flimsy.  I find a roller stand of adjustable height to be very helpful
The dimpling table



Top skins clecoed on and leading edge assembly in place


No comments:

Post a Comment