The Mission:

I am building an airplane. I really can't tell you how weird it sounds to me to hear those words in my head as I type. I am keeping this blog as an adjunct to my written log, which is required to comply with FAA requirements for Experimental Aircraft construction. My son Doug is my partner in this project. There are two goals: to build the best, safest, and yes, COOLEST, airplane we can, and to allow Doug to acquire some truly awesome experiences, not to mention building skills. Thanks for viewing.



How to use this blog

The most current post is displayed on this opening page. To access the older posts, click on the "Blog Archive" on the right hand side. The drop down menu is arranged by the month and lists the posts, by title and by date posted, in reverse chronological order.

I will arrange the hypertext links to other websites I find interesting better some day, but they are at the bottom.

If you navigate to my first post, there is a link to my luthiery pages. I miss working with wood. Aluminum is nice, but it's boring. Give me a highly figured maple any day!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Major progress

We now have a hangar! Fittingly, it's number 7 at Mahlon Sweet airport in Eugene

And the Quick Build fuselage (by Synergy Air) is done and delivered

So Doug and I built a stand (on wheels) to elevate it and hold it in neutral position

Meanwhile, back at the garage, the right fuel tank is clecoed

Also the strap underlying the right leading edge and fuel tank is getting done (in background is the left flap)

And the left wing is almost skinned.   Just a few more rivets!

We also have the pitot tube attached and plumbed, the wires for the lights, stall warner, capacitance senders, and pitot heat. Not installed yet: servo wires or AOA installation (coming soon).  It has been a busy time in the last week or so.  The biggest news, I guess, is that Doug is now working very part time at Synergy Air in Eugene.  The good news is that he is getting incredibly valuable insights working with the best RV builder's assist program there is.  The bad news is I don't have him as often in the garage anymore!

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you guys getting into it. The quickbuild stuff is definitely the way to go. To do everything the full DIY is just so time consuming. Life is too short for that stuff - unless you love to tinker and dont care so much about results.

    More power to Ya !

    ReplyDelete